|Contact||Events||Where?||Forum||Notice Board||Newsletter||Photo gallery||External links|
Solent Metal Detecting Club News. Most recent entries at the top.
|Club meeting Wednesday 11th March
2015. This meeting was attended by 30 members.
The Chairman reported on a garden search which had been carried out by three club members at a house near Winchester.
One more committee member is needed to complete the committee for 2015. During the meeting a member volunteered for this post.
Please note, membership renewal for 2015 is now completed.
There was a request for someone to assist in the purchasing of prizes for the raffle. During the meeting a member volunteered for this activity. Also a request was made for members to donate prizes for the raffle.
Notice was given of a rally to be held on Saturday March 14th at Lavant, West Sussex. Details are posted on the Notice Board page of the website.
Our FLO, Katie, was in attendance at the meeting and was kept busy with finds recording. She was accompanied by Joanna, a young student learning the skills of a finds Liaison Officer. The next meeting Katie will be attending is the May meeting on 13th May 2015.
Please note, the next monthly meeting will be on Wednesday the 8th of April.
|Wednesday February 11th 2015, club
This meeting started by electing a new club Chairman. The new candidate was proposed, seconded and voted in by a majority show of hands.
The new Chairman started the meeting my covering the following topic.
1) Once again all members are reminded that they must sign in when attending a general meeting. Please sign both the club signing-in list and the RNA Club book.
2) A vote of thanks to the retiring chairman for his three years of service was proposed, but as the retiring chairman was not present, this would be repeated at the next meeting.
3) A member who had received a bouquet of flower following a family bereavement had sent a 'thank you' to the members.
4) Members were given details of the Rotary Spring Rally to be held on Sunday the 22nd March 2015. The site is North of Swindon off M4 junction 15/16 and would be on arable fields. Cost £16 in advance or £20 on the day. For full details see the Notice Board page of this website.
5) Members were reminded that a club such as ours requires third party/public liability insurance. The committee organized such insurance for 2014 and it has been renewed again for 2015.All members must also have their own individual insurance for their detecting activities, through either the FID or the NCMD. Without this insurance your membership is not valid.
6) Due to various problems that have arisen in the past year, the committee feels that the rules of the club must be extended/reassessed and made clearer to cover many eventualities not covered in the past. When these new rules are formulated the membership will be informed and will need to ratify them.
7) Once again members were reminded that membership renewal should take place at the latest by the February meeting. Anyone who did not renew their membership on or before that occasion please note!
8) Our FLO will be in attendance at the March meeting. All items given in for recording, at her last visit in December 2014, have been dealt with. Anyone requiring there items returned before the March meeting can collect them at the office.
This concluded the Chairman's remarks and, as always, the next item on the agenda was the raffle. Many thanks to those of you who have provided raffle prizes.
There are still sites available for detecting each Sunday, but please keep to the scheduled list of digs.
For those of you who are not too familiar with using the Internet, or would like a guide to finding your way around the club's website, your webmaster will be producing a simple guide which will be available at the next meeting. If you would like such a guide but will not be at the meeting then email me and I will forward one on to you. With postal costs as they are it is very costly to provide information via the postal system, so over the past few years the club has relied on the website to do this. If you are not able to use the Internet and do not have an email address, please let me know.
Next meeting, - Wednesday the 11th March 2015.
|Wednesday January 14th 2015, Club
meeting. This meeting included the Annual General
Meeting of the club.
Annual General Meeting
1) Apologies for absence.
1) Apologies for absence were received from four members.
2) Chairman's report. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The Chairman started by welcoming new members.
The annual membership fee remains at £10 for 2015.
At the start of 2014 the existing committee were re-elected to serve another year in their respective positions.
12 new members joined at the start of 2014, maintaining our maximum membership of 50 members.
In January 2014 the club took out Public Liability Insurance to cover eventualities not covered by our individual FID/NCMD insurance.
We were fortunate during 2014 as there were only 5 weeks when no farms were available for detecting.
Charity Donations during 2014,- £50 to a club member for the 'Rocky Rollers' sponsored mobility scooter run.
£100 to the Royal Naval Association Club.
£1000 to the Rosemary Foundation. £500 at Easter and £500 at Christmas.
At Christmas, a bottle of red and a bottle of white wine was presented to each of our landowner.
As a club, we did not attend any rallies this year.
Our Christmas meal was at the Langbrook Farm Inn, Havant, and was enjoyed by all 35 members who attended.
This year saw the takeover of FID by the Central Searchers. members were able to renew their FID membership with few problems.
We continued to have a good relationship with the PAS through our FLO Katie Hinds.
The membership were reminded that detecting on our farms could only take place on the sites, and at the times, specified in the monthly schedules, i.e. the 'digs list'. To detect on a farm or at a time not included in the digs list could cause the club to lose permissions and could bring the reputation of the club and of metal detecting in general into disrepute.
The Chairman announced he would be standing down after three years of service due to impending retirement.
3) Treasurer's report. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The club continues to be in a good financial state, although in 2014 we borrowed from the club funds in order to top up our charity donation at Christmas. The sum of £174.65 was shown on the accounts and was now cleared.
An additional expense during 2014 was the cost of the Third Party/Public Liability insurance that we now have renewed. The need for such insurance was explained by the Treasurer in relation to individual FID membership by most members and SMDC's current non affiliation to NCMD.
The end of year accounts can be viewed in the Member's Only area of the solentmdc.co.uk website.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
4) Election of the committee for 2015.
Five members volunteered to serve on the committee for 2015. These were proposed and seconded by the membership and consisted of, - Treasurer, Secretary, Consultant, plus two other members. A Farms Liaison person was also elected. See the 'Member's Only' page for details.
5) Any other business.
No items proposed under Any Other Business.
6) Conclusion of formal AGM business.
The formal AGM business was concluded and the normal monthly meeting started.
There was the usual raffle and general discussion of finds and metal detecting in general.
The next meeting will be on the 11th of February 2015 at the usual venue. Our FLO, Katie, will be at the February meeting and may bring a young archaeology student with her. Get your finds ready for recording on the PAS !
To see the archives of the News pages -
click here for 2010, and here for 2011, and here for 2012, and here for 2013, and here for 2014.